Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Detritus

Detritus is not a word I would use to describe the possessions of someone else. It is truly a word one can only use about oneself. A prospective seller client used it last week to describe the contents of his house and his shed, "The detritus of a lifetime." It is a little sad when one's things reach the state of detritus. In Roget's Thesaurus, the word is found under "remainder." As in, remains, residue, leavings, scraps, rubbish, debris, end, shadow, afterimage. It is not a happy word, yet one that does come to mind particularly when I work on estates or court-appointed guardianship situations.

My message is, take care of your property, both real property and personal property. Regularly sort out your things and perform regular maintenance on your home's systems and major components. These steps will help preserve the value of your home and your long-term investment in it. I have created simple checklists that can help with maintenance and keeping your home safe and tidy. I'm happy to share them upon request. Just email or call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment