Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Taking Our Good Natured Time

There is an interior designer somewhere who is going to see this photo and think, "Bare light bulbs hanging from a sconce electrical connection, brilliant!"  Well, this presupposes that any interior designers actually read my little blog and that they have a unique perspective on design.

Sadly, we have had bare bulbs hanging over our non-existent mantel for longer than I care to admit (think last winter).  The light they emit does produce an almost blinding amount of light (dimmer to follow).  We just have not had the time, or funds, or decision-making capacity to select actual sconces, buy them, and install them.

When we bought our house in Woodhaven, it included an imposing wooden mantel piece which extended to the ceiling and about 12 inches out from the stone surround.  We removed it (well, my friend Pieter did) and discovered a plaster disaster plus two outlet covers.  Whoo hoo - possible light!

The electricians connected the sockets to a light switch by the front door.  To test the wiring, they "installed" these bulbs; everything is safe with no exposed wires.  They don't even match: one, as shown, in its modern efficient glory, and the other, old-fashioned and pear-shaped.

Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what you want to do in your home.  As I real estate agent, I care about these "staying" decisions as much as what you should do to prep your house for sale and how to choose the best home to buy.  I thought I'd share a personal example of how I can appreciate that these types of home renovation decisions are not always easy.

I'll post later once we get the sconces, and paint, and add a mantel.

No comments:

Post a Comment