Sunday, November 24, 2013

House Sale Prep Checklists

For each seller client, I create a customized House Sale Preparation Checklist.  While of course some of the items on the list may be universally helpful to sellers, I take into consideration that particular client's situation, their means and time available, and the most likely buyer of their house in making suggestions to them about getting the property into optimal showing condition.

Recently I worked with some seller clients whose house was already in terrific condition and who are quite handy and comfortable with home improvement projects.  I started with an initial one page list with these categories:
   * POD - rent one and start filling it with...
   * Sorting/Clearing Out
   * Projects [minor household repairs]
   * Early Staging

Once they finished that list (in 5 days!!), I went back to their home with my notepad in hand and made a second, final list (typed and emailed by that evening).  This one was more detailed and led up to the time when the professional photographer I had hired was scheduled to arrive.  This "Stage 2" checklist included items such as:

   * Add to the POD (and get the POD picked up)
   * Sorting/Clearing Out [the finer points]
   * Yard Word/Exterior
   * Projects
   * Final Staging
   * Pre-Photo Little Things

For another seller client, I created a room-by-room list rather than by categories, because that was an easier way for her to work through her house preparation tasks.

My best practice for sellers is helping organize and plan with you to make your house shine for its potential buyers.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment